CHEESY SPINACH PHYLLO CIGARS – WITH SPICY HONEY
(Makes ±16 cigars, serving 8 as a starter or snack)
Difficulty level: A LITTLE EFFORT
Prepping time: 45 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
200 g spinach, chopped, cooked and drained well
150 g cheddar cheese, grated
150 g feta cheese, cut into small cubes or crumbled
1 onion, sliced and sauted in 15 ml olive oil with 2 garlic cloves
5 ml chopped fresh dill
10 ml chopped mint
5 ml dried oregano
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper for seasoning
6 sheets phyllo pastry
olive oil for brushing or spraying in between the layers of pastry
20 ml olive oil
20 g butter
80 ml FIRST CHOICE Orange blossom honey
5 ml chili flakes
2,5 ml cumin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Combine the spinach, grated edam cheese, feta, cooked onion and garlic and the herbs in a bowl, mash to combine a little and add the egg. Season to taste
- Place one sheet of phyllo on your worktop and brush pr spray with EVOO olive oil. Cut into quarters and place some of the filling on each quarter (longest side). Roll the phyllo up over the filling, folding the side edges in to seal the filling and to make cigars.
- Repeat with the rest of the phyllo and filling.
- Place the cigars on the prepared baking tray. Brush with more olive oil and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- TO MAKE THE CHILI HONEY: Combine the butter, oil, chili and cumin seeds in a small frying pan and cook over medium heat until fragrant. Remove from heat, stir in the honey and cool completely.