CHOCOLATE AND CLEMENTINE MARBLED LOAF WITH DARK CHOC GANACHE
(You can substitute the clementines with oranges)
(Makes 1 loaf)
200 g butter at room temperature
150 g CASTOR SUGAR
3 clementines, zested
150 g ground almonds
150 g cake flour
10 ml baking powder
pinch of salt
100 ml clementine juice
45 ml cacao powder, sifted
200 ml clementine juice
80 g CASTOR SUGAR
150 g dark chocolate, chopped
90 g butter
15 ml honey
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease and line a tea loaf pan with baking paper
- Cream together the butter, sugar and clementine zest until light and airy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after every addition
- Sieve together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and the salt
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and the clementine juice to the creamed butter mixture and mix together to make a smooth batter.Do not over mix
- Divide the batter in half and add the sifted cacao to the one half.If needed – add a little clementine juice to the batter
- Spoon dollops of each cake batter into the prepared loaf pan, alternating the flavours to give a marbled effect.Lastly use a knife to swirl the batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- TO MAKE THE SYRUP:Combine the juice and sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat and allow the syrup to boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the loaf as soon as it comes out of the oven.Leave to cool completely before removing the loaf from the pan.
- TO MAKE THE GANACHE: Mix all the ganache ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave on a low heat setting until melted. Stir the mixture every 30 seconds to prevent burning.
- Spread the ganache over the top of the cooled loaf.
- Garnish with chocolate balls, dusted cacao and some clementine preserve (optional)