THAI STYLE COCONUT AND LIME CHICKEN
30 ml oil
600 g chicken fillets
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
15 ml grated fresh ginger
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped (or add more to taste)
Zest of 2 limes
15 ml fish sauce
1 tin coconut milk or coconut cream
5 ml coconut sugar or soft brown sugar
30 ml lime juice
Fresh coriander and extra chilli for serving
Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat a large frying pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat. When the pan is hot but not smoking, add half of the oil.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Then remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the onion, garlic and ginger. Lower the heat to low and cook, stirring until the onion softens and is lightly browned.
- Add the chili, lime zest, coconut milk, fish sauce and the coconut sugar. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for a few minutes, taste to adjust the seasoning, then add chicken breasts back to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the lime juice to the sauce, and season to taste with salt. Sprinkle with fresh coriander, extra chilli (optional) and serve with steamed Jasmin rice