DARK CHOCOLATE TORTE
430 g dark chocolate, chopped (use 70%)
6 large eggs
380 g castor sugar
300 g butter, cut into blocks
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease and line a 24cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper. Wrap clingwrap around the tin and then cover the outside with foil
- Beat the eggs with 130 g of th castor sugar until doubled in volume (about 10 minutes with an electric beater)
- Combine the rest of the castor sugar with 160 ml water in a small saucepan and stir on medium, heat until the sugar has dissolved. Do not boil the syrup and remove from the heat.
- Place the chocolate and butter into the warm syrup and stir to dissolve the chocolate and butter and cool
- Add the cooled chocolate to the eggs and beat briefly to combine
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and place the tin in a larger tin – filled with warm water – up to about ¾ the height of the tin (bain marie). Make sure the foil is secure so that no water can come into the cake tin
- Bake for 1 hour until cooked and remove from the oven.
- Take the cake tin out of the water and cool overnight
- Serve with crème fraiche and fresh raspberries – dust with cacao