MULLED PLUMS WITH POPPYSEED MERINGUE SHARDS AND YOGHURT
2 egg whites
130 g castor sugar
2,5 ml cream of tartar
45 ml poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 100°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff (not dry)
- Add the sugar gradually, to make sure it’s incorporated completely, whilst beating
- Whisk until very stiff and shiny. Add the cream of tartar and gently fold in the poppyseeds
- Spread the meringue thinly onto the baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour and switch off the oven to dry and cool in the oven
- Break into shards when serving
1 kg ripe plums, halved and stoned
150 g castor sugar
150 ml red wine
60 ml orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
1 cinnamon stick
Shot rum (optional)
- Let the sugar caramelize in a pot over medium heat until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the red wine and spices and let cook for a minute. Add the orange juice and plums and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow to simmer on low heat until the syrup thickens and the plums are soft.
- Stir in the rum and cool overnight.
Serve the plums with some poppyseed meringues shards, sweetened yoghurt (sweeten the yoghurt with a little honey) and some toasted flaked almonds