APPLE AND PEAR SAMOOSAS – WITH CINNAMON SPRINKLE
500 g diced, peeled Granny Smith apple
500 g diced, peeled firm pears
45 g butter
50 ml honey
5 ml ground cinnamon
80 ml soft brown sugar
30 ml orange juice
8 sheets phyllo pastry
melted butter for brushing
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the apple, pear, honey,cinnamon, brown sugar and the orange juice. Stir until the fruit is soft and caramelised. The mixture must be quite dry. Cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Brush the phyllo pastry with melted butter and make stacks of two sheets each. Cut each double layer of brushed phyllo pastry into 5 long strips.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of filling on the bottom left corner of each strip. Fold over the pastry to make triangles.
- Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry.
- Brush with melted butter and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm with crème fraiche and cinnamon sprinkle (MIX together 60 ml castor sugar, 5 ml ground cinnamon and 20 g finely chopped roasted pecan nuts)