BEETROOT AND BLUEBERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE
180 g soft brown sugar
200 ml sunflower oil
100 ml olive oil
10 ml vanilla
110 ml yoghurt
260 g cake flour
70 g cacao
2,5 ml salt
5 ml baking powder
5 ml bicarbonate of soda
500 ml peeled and coarsely grated raw beetroot (2 large beetroots)
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease 3 X 20cm cake tins.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, sunflower oil, olive oil, eggs, vanilla and yoghurt.
- In another large bowl, sift the flour, cacao, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Use a spatula to mix gently.
- Add the grated beetroot and mix to make the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until a inserted skewer comes out clean and when the cakes just begin to pull away from the sides of the cake pan. Cool completely
250 g dark chocolate
30 g butter
160 ml cream
Melt all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Careful not to burn the chocolate. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
300 g organic blueberries
zest of 1 lemon
100 g castor sugar or soft brown sugar
30 ml honey
15 ml olive oil
Combine ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to the boil. Stir gently
Simmer for about 10 minutes until thick
- Assemble the cake using the blueberry compote, spread the top generously with the chocolate ganache and allow some of the chocolate to drizzle down the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with blueberries and chocolate shards