WHITE CHOCOLATE AND ALMOND GATEAUX
Difficulty level: Some effort
Prepping time: 1hour
Baking time: 30 minutes
200 g cake flour
15 ml baking powder
pinch of salt
60 g ground almonds
200 g NATURA GOLDEN CASTOR SUGAR
3 eggs, separated
125 ml sunflower oil
2,5 ml almond essence
130 ml water
WHITE CHOCOLATE ALMOND MOUSSE
250 g white chocolate
650 ml whipping cream
80 g roasted almonds, ground in a food processor till fine
100 g toasted flaked almonds
white chocolate coated almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper
- TO MAKE THE CAKE: Sieve together the flour, baking powder and the salt and mix in the ground almonds and half of the castor sugar
- In another bowl combine the egg yolks, sunflower oil, almond essence and the water
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix gently to make the batter
- In a clean bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks and gradually beat in the castor sugar to make a meringue.
- Fold the meringue gently into the batter
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for ±30 minutes until golden brown and cooked (when inserting a skewer it must come out clean)
- Cool completely
- TO MAKE THE WHITE CHOCOLATE ALMOND MOUSSE: In a small pot, on low heat, melt the white chocolate with 125 ml of the cream, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Mix in the ground roasted almonds.
- Beat the rest of the cream until stiff peaks form.Fold half of the cream into the cold white chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the rest of the whipped cream to make the mousse. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to firm up and be ice cold
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Use a sharp knife to cut the cake in 3 layers.
- Cover the first layer of the cake with one quarter of the mousse, top with the second layer of cake and spread with the second quarter of the mousse.
- Repeat with the third layer of cake and place the cake in the fridge or freezer until very cold and firm.
- Cover the sides of the cake with the remaining mousse.Sprinkle the sides with the toasted flaked almonds and pipe rosettes on the top of the cake. Garnish with white chocolate covered almonds (optional)
- Place cake in fridge for a few hours before serving