TRIPPLE CHOCOLATE PRALINE TART
Difficulty level: A little effort
Prepping time: 40 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
140 g cream
200 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
CHOCOLATE PASTRY (or use a biscuit crust)
200 g plain flour
60 g NATURA ICING SUGAR, sifted
20 g cocoa
110 g cold butter, coarsely chopped
2 egg yolks mixed with 45 ml cold water
MILK CHOCOLATE PRALINE FILLING
150 g hazelnuts, roasted and skins removed
150 g NATURA DARK DEMERARA SUGAR
250 g cream
400 g milk chocolate, chopped
- TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE PASTRY: Combine the flour, icing sugar and cocoa in a food processor. Add the butter and process until mixture resembles fine crumbs, then add the egg yolk mixture. Do not add it all at once – you may not need all the liquid. Process to combine.
- Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and bring pastry together by lightly kneading it. Wrap in clingwrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180° Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick and line a greased 24cm-diameter loose-bottomed tart tin, trimming the edges. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then blind bake for 8-10 minutes, remove paper and weights/beans and bake until dry and crisp (about another 10 minutes). Cool.
- TO MAKE THE PRALINE FILLING: Spread the hazelnuts on a silpat or baking paper and set aside.
- Place the sugar in a heavy bottomed pan on very low heat and allow to melt completely. Cook until a dark caramel is formed BUT do not burn the sugar. Pour over the nuts.
- Leave to cool and firm-up then process it in a food processor until finely ground, set aside.
- Add the cream and chocolate in a small saucepan on very low heat and stir to melt the chocolate. Do not overheat!
- Remove from the heat and add 2/3 of the praline to make the filling. Spoon into the pastry case and refrigerate until firm and set (2 hours)
- TO MAKE THE TOPPING:
- Place the cream in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and pour over the dark chocolate. Stir to dissolve the chocolate and spread it gently over the tart.
- Place tart in the fridge to set for a few hours
- Cut into wedges with a hot knife and serve immediately sprinkled with some of the reserved praline.