COCONUT, LIME AND ROASTED BLUEBERRY CAKE
COCONUT AND LIME CAKE
300g cake flour
250 g castor sugar
7,5 ml bicarbonate of soda
2,5 ml salt
50 g desiccated coconut
300 ml sunflower oil
375 ml buttermilk or amasi
30 ml lemon juice
zest of 2 limes
2,5 ml coconut essence
300 g blueberries
40 g castor sugar
6 egg whites (±180g)
300 g sugar
10 ml lemon juice
420 g butter, cold but not ice cold, cut into cubes
toasted coconut flakes
- TO MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line 3 X 20 cm cake tins with baking paper
- Sieve together the flour, castor sugar, bicarbonate of soda and the salt and mix in the coconut
- In another bowl combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk, lemon juice, lime zest and the coconut essence
- Mix the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix well to make the batter
- Divide the batter into 3 equal portions and spoon into the prepared baking tins
- Bake for ±25 minutes until it is cooked and a testing needle inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely
- TO ROAST THE BLUEBERRIES: Place the blueberries in a greased roasting dish, sprinkle with the sugar and roast in the oven (180°C) for about 25 minutes until a thick syrup is formed. Cool completely
- TO MAKE THE BUTTERCREAM: Combine the egg whites, sugar and lemon juice in the bowl of your stand mixer. Place it on top of a saucepan with a little water and place on medium heat. Use a whisk and stir all the time until the sugar has dissolved and the temperature reaches 70°C
- Remove from the saucepan and beat on high speed, using your whisk attachment. Beat until the egg whites mixture is white and fluffy and almost cold.
- Now replace the whisk attachment of your mixer with the K-beater
- Add a few cubes of butter at a time and beat on high speed until it has been mixed into the egg whites completely
- Continue until you have added all the butter. The mixture should be very puffy and creamy.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Spread one cake with buttercream then top with a third of the roasted blueberries, repeat.
- Gently fold in the last third of the blueberries into the leftover buttercream and spread around the cake and on top
- Decorate with coconut shards around the cake and blueberries and lime zest on top.