CHICKEN AND LEEK PHYLLO PIE
800 g deboned chicken fillets – cubed
3 leeks, thinly sliced
80 g butter
Salt, pepper and garlic and herb to taste
80 ml flour
250 ml milk or use chicken stock
30 ml chopped thyme
zest of 1 lemon
160 g crumbled feta cheese
12 sheets phyllo pastry
60 ml melted butter
15 ml sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Saute the leeks in half of the butter, remove from frying pan.
- Stir fry the chicken in the rest of the butter. Season and add the cooked leeks, thyme and lemon zest back to the pan
- Add the flour and mix well
- Add the milk and mix into the filling. Heat gently and bring to the boil. Stir regularly. Taste to adjust the seasoning.
- Cool a little – then sprinkle over the feta cheese
- Brush each strip of phyllo pastry with a little butter and crunch loosely into a ball. Place on top of the filling to cover the filling completely
- Brush with a little extra melted butter and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of the pastry
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown and crisp