PISTACHIO BAKLAVA CHEESECAKE
8 sheets phyllo pastry
60 g melted butter (for brushing the phyllo)
120 g KAROO PISTACHIOS, finely chopped
80 g walnuts, finely chopped
50 ml castor sugar
1 ml salt
40 ml melted butter (to add to the nuts)
700 g cream cheese
125 g honey
3 large eggs
10 ml vanilla
10 ml lemon juice
180 g honey
60 ml water
60 g KAROO PISTACHIOS, chopped
50 g walnuts, chopped
1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Grease a 24 cm springform pan and preheat the oven to 160°C
- Working quickly and one at a time, brush a phyllo sheet with melted butter, fold in half and then in half again. Place into the springform pan. Repeat until the springform pan is fully lined – let the pastry overlap and allow edges to overhang slightly over the rim of the pan
- Combine the pistachios, walnuts, castor sugar, salt and the melted butter – spread evenly on the phyllo pastry crust and place in fridge for 15 minutes
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Slowly beat together the cream cheese and honey. Add the eggs one at a time and mix in well before adding the next egg. Add the vanilla and lemon juice and pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes. If the phyllo pastry becomes too dark – cover the cheesecake lightly/loosely with foil whilst baking.
- Cool completely
- TO MAKE THE TOPPING: Combine the honey, water, lemon juice and zest in a small saucepan and bring to the boil on low heat. Simmer until it becomes a thick syrup (about 15 minutes). Cool and add the nuts.
- Spread the topping gently on the cold cheesecake and serve.