BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH ALMOND CRUMBLE
(Makes 12 muffins)
The crumble adds a special touch to these blueberry muffins.
250 ml (140 g) cake flour
60 ml (50 g) castor sugar
60 g flaked almonds
60 g butter, melted
500 ml (280 g) cake flour
20 ml baking powder
1 ml salt
120 ml (100 g) castor sugar
125 ml sunflower oil
Grated rind of 1 small lemon
300 ml amasi OR buttermilk
250 g SPAR frozen blueberries
- Mix all the crumble ingredients together by hand – use a fork. The mixture must be crumbly.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Line a muffin pan with muffin cups.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, castor sugar and oil together. Add the grated lemon rind and the amasi or buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix very gently – do not overmix. Use a metal spoon
- Stir in the frozen blueberries, reserving a few for topping.
- Spoon the batter into the muffins cups. Top with a generous sprinkling of crumble and dot with a few extra frozen blueberries.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked