MINI BERRY AND FIG ICE CREAM CAKES
Difficulty level: EASY
Prepping time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Freezing time: Overnight preferably
500 ml FIRST CHOICE Strawberry Flavoured Dairy Dessert, chilled overnight
160 g raspberries
160 g fresh baby figs, cut into slices and quarters
160 g crushed ginger biscuits
70 ml FIRST CHOICE butter, melted
200 ml cream, whipped
18 mini meringues for serving
fresh mint for garnish
90 g egg whites
175 g castor sugar
5 ml lemon juice
- Mix together the crushed biscuits and melted butter
- Lightly oil 6 X 8cm diameter pastry rings and place on a lined baking tray
- Divide the biscuit mixture between the 6 pastry rings and use the back of a spoon to press the biscuits firmly onto the bottom to make the crust
- Whip the chilled FIRST CHOICE strawberry velvet with an electric beater on high speed for about 5 minutes to become light and airy
- Fold in two thirds of the raspberries (you can half some of the raspberries) and two thirds of the figs into the whipped strawberry velvet
- Spoon this mixture into the pastry rings and fill to the top
- Freeze overnight
- TO MAKE THE MINI MERINGUES: Preheat the oven to 100°C and line a greased baking tray with baking paper
- Beat the egg whites and lemon juice until stiff but not dry.
- Add the castor sugar gradually while whisking, making sure it’s incorporated completely.
- Beat until very stiff and shiny.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe small meringues.Bake for 1 hour. Switch off the oven and leave the meringues inside, preferably overnight, until completely cool.
- TO SERVE: remove the ice cream from the freezer and leave at room temperature for 5 minutes. Lift the moulds and place on the serving plates – push down the ice cream onto the plates
- Top with whipped cream, the rest of the raspberries and figs and lastly add some mini meringues
- Optional to garnish with fresh mint