PLAITED CHICKEN, SPINACH AND MUSHROOM PIE
(Makes 1 large chicken pie – serves 6)
This is a wonderful dish to have on standby for unexpected dinner guests or those evenings when you don’t feel like cooking from scratch.
80 g butter
250 g mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
100 g baby spinach
800 g chicken breasts, cooked, deboned and cubed
Salt and black pepper
80 ml cake flour
300 ml milk
100 g feta cheese, crumbled
1 roll (400 g) puff pastry (Use the best quality you can get)
1 egg, whisked with 30 ml milk (egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Grease a large baking sheet.
- Heat half the butter in a saucepan and fry the mushrooms. Add the spring onions and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add the rest of the butter to the saucepan and stir-fry the chicken until it is cooked. Add seasoning to taste.
- Return the mushroom mixture to the saucepan, add the flour and stir well.
- Add the milk and allow the mixture to simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- When the filling is cool, add the feta cheese and check the seasoning
- Roll out the puff pastry into a 25 x 35 cm rectangle. Divide in three lengthways – only mark, do not cut.
- Spoon the filling onto the centre third. Cut the pastry on either side of the filling into 2-cm-wide strips, right up to the filling.
- Brush the strips with the egg wash. Fold strips alternately over the filling to obtain a pretty plaited effect.
- Place the plaited chicken pie on the prepared baking sheet and brush with more egg wash.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- TIP – do the assembling of the pie on baking paper and use it to lift the pie onto the baking dish
* Make a lot of pies and freeze them – I normally place the pies on a baking tray, freeze and then package them. Thaw for 1 hour before baking them again – it will take a bit longer than the normal baking period.
* Sprinkle sesame seeds over the egg-washed pastry, just before you place the pie in the oven.
*Place vine-tomatoes on the pie for the last 10 minutes of baking time for added appeal??