KEY LIME PIE – BEST EVER!
200 g crushed digestive biscuits
80 g melted butter
zest of 1 lime
2 tins condenced milk
250 ml soured cream
zest of 2 limes
180 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease an oblong loose bottom pie dish (±36cm by 12 cm)
- Combine the crushed biscuits, lime zest and the melted butter to make the crust
- Press the mixture onto the base and sides of the pie dish – press firmly with a spoon to make sure it sticks to the sides.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before adding the filling.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well till smooth and creamy
- Pour the mixture into the chilled crust
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for ±20 minutes (do NOT let it brown)
- Cool completely and top with Italian meringues and garnish with more lime zest and lime slices
180 g sugar
1 ml salt
100 ml water
3 small egg whites
- Dissolve the sugar and salt in the water in a saucepan on medium heat and bring the sugar syrup to the boil. Do not let it boil before all the sugar has dissolved.
- Use a sugar thermometer and boil the syrup to 118 °C – when the temperature reaches 112 °C start beating the egg whites so long. The egg whites must be beaten to the stiff peak stage.
- When the syrup reaches 118 °C, remove immediately from the heat and slowly add it to the beaten egg whites while you continue to beat at high speed. The whole process should take about 3 minutes and then you can continue beating the hot meringue until it cools slightly. (the meringue must still be warm when you use it)
- Spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto the cold key lime pie