PECAN & GINGER HAND PIES
(Makes 8 hand pies)
210 g cake flour
2 ml salt
3 ml ground ginger
150 g butter (cold and cubed)
±60 ml ice-cold water
250 g whole pecan nuts
200 g soft brown sugar
45 ml cake flour
3 small eggs
80 g melted butter
30 ml ginger syrup
100 g preserved ginger, chopped
- Grease 8 loose-bottomed small tart tins
- Sift the flour, salt and ground ginger into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (or you can place it in a food processor and pulse).
- Mix in just enough ice-cold water to make the pastry and wrap in clingfilm.
- Rest the pastry in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3 mm thick. Use it to line the tart tins.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Arrange the pecan nuts on the uncooked pastry.
- Mix the sugar, flour, eggs, melted butter, and ginger syrup together and pour it over the nuts.
- GENTLY mix in the chopped ginger and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving with whipped cream and a generous drizzle of the ginger syrup
- OPTIONAL: Serve with ginger-flavoured mascarpone (250 g mascarpone whipped with 50 ml chopped preserved ginger).