HONEY AND ORANGE BAKLAVA CIGARS
100 g finely chopped almonds
100g chopped pecan nuts
50g ground almonds
60ml castor sugar
5ml ground cinnamon
8 sheets phyllo pastry
125 g butter, melted
250 g sugar
300 ml water
100 g honey
Zest of 1 orange
2 cinnamon sticks
20 ml lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the nuts, castor sugar and the cinnamon.Keep aside.
- Place all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan on medium heat, stir to dissolve the sugar and boil for 6 minutes to make the syrup.Remove spices just before use.
- Brush two sheets of phyllo pastry with melted butter and place on top of one another.
- Cut in half down the middle and then each half into three long strips. Sprinkle some of the nut mixture down the middle of the rectangle and start rolling the cigars by folding the sides of the phyllo strips in while rolling it up.This will ensure that the filling stays inside. Repeat with all the strips and the rest of the pastry and filling to make 24 cigars.
- Place the cigars in a rectangular dish and brush with more melted butter.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Pour the warm syrup over the cigars and cool completely.
- Serve with more chopped nuts
- TIP – store in the fridge.