180 ml egg whites
380 g castor sugar
2.5 ml cream of tartar
5 ml vanilla extract
4 gelatin leaves, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes
500 ml clementine OR mandarin juice
80 ml castor sugar
30 ml vanilla liqueur (or citrus liqueur), optional
250 ml custard, ice cold
500 ml whipping cream
250 ml custard
50 ml vanilla or citrus liqueur (or use extra clementine juice)
200 g boudoir biscuits
150 g gooseberries or other berries of choice
4 mandarins/clementines, peeled OR used 2 tins of mandarins, drained
white chocolate shards
- TO MAKE THE MINI PAVLOVAS:Preheat the oven to 100 °C. Line 2 baking sheets with a double layer of greased baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Add the castor sugar gradually while whisking, making sure it’s incorporated completely.
- Whisk until very stiff and shiny. Add the cream of tartar and vanilla.
- Shape or pipe mini pavlovas on the baking trays and bake 1 hour. Switch off the oven and leave until completely cool.
- TO MAKE THE MANDARIN/CLEMENTINE JELLY:Heat the juice, castor sugar and add the soaked gelatin leaves. Stir to dissolve (not boil) and add the liqueur. Pour into the base of your serving dish and let it set in the fridge
- TO MAKE THE CUSTARD CREAM:Whip the cream until thick and fold in the cold custard
- TO ASSEMBLE:Place a layer of the biscuits on top of the jelly and drizzle with the liqueur. Top with some mandarin/clementine wedges and gooseberries and cover with a layer of the custard cream. Top with a layer of mini pavlovas (lightly broken) and then a layer of FIRST CHOICE custard
- Repeat with another layer of biscuits, liqueur and custard cream
- Top with mini pavlovas and garnish with mandarin/clementine wedges, gooseberries and white chocolate shards