DARK CHOCOLATE AND CHERRY PAVLOVA ROLL
6 large egg whites
375 g castor sugar
5 ml vanilla
30 ml white wine vinegar
40 ml corn flour
60 ml dark cacao powder
250 g double thick cream
250 ml whipping cream
60 ml icing sugar
5 ml vanilla
150 g pitted cherries, halved
125 ml cherry jam
long stem cherries
melted chocolate to drizzle
icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tray (35 cm X 30 cm) with baking paper (paper must rise at least 2 cm over the sides of the tray)
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage and start to add the castor sugar gradually to the egg whites whilst beating on high speed to make a glossy meringue.
- Add the vanilla, vinegar, corn flour and cacao and whisk for another minute
- Spoon into the prepared tray – use a spatula to spread it out evenly
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C and bake for 35 minutes until a pale golden brown and crusty on top
- Cool in the tray
- Beat the cream and the icing sugar till stiff
- Place a clean towel flat on the surface of the pavlova and invert quickly on to the working surface. (crisp meringue is now facing down). Lift the tray and peel off the paper.
- Cover generously with most of the cream, top with the pitted cherries and drizzle over the cherry jam.
- TO ROLL THE MERINGUE: Use the tea towel to assist you, roll up to make a log
- Pipe or spoon the rest of the cream on top of the log and garnish with the cherries, mint, chocolate shards and drizzle with the melted chocolate
- Dust with icing sugar.
- This can be stored in the fridge for several hours and taste just as good the next day. You can also bake the meringue a few hours before you finish off the pavlova roll.