Cherry and buttermilk clafoutis with lemon crème anglaise
180 ml fresh cream
180 ml buttermilk
75 g castor sugar
pinch of salt
5 ml vanilla extract or the seeds of ½ vanilla pod
40 g cake flour
200 g fresh, pitted cherries
LEMON CRÈME ANGLAISE
150 ml fresh cream
150 ml milk
finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
3 egg yolks
45 g castor sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C. Grease an ovenproof dish.
- To make the dessert, beat together the cream, buttermilk, castor sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla extract until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Whisk in the flour and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ovenproof dish and scatter the cherries on top
- Bake for about 25 minutes until it is firm and set.
- Make the crème Anglaise while the clafoutis is baking in the oven. Place the cream, milk and lemon zest into a saucepan on medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Remove from the heat and strain to remove the lemon zest.
- Beat the egg yolks and the castor sugar together for about 2 minutes until it becomes pale and fluffy. Add the hot milk and cream mixture to the egg mixture and whisk well to combine.
- Pour it back into the saucepan and return to low heat. Whisk continuously until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. DO NOT LET IT BOIL. Remove from the heat and serve with the clafoutis.