PEAR MALVA TEA LOAF
(Makes 1 loaf)
3 pears, peeled and halved
200 g NATURA GOLDEN LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
280 g cake flour
1 ml salt
5 ml baking powder
5 ml bicarbonate of soda
100 g butter at room temperature
130 g NATURA GOLDEN LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
60 g apricot jam
15 ml white vinegar OR lemon juice
250 ml buttermilk OR amasi
100 g NATURA GOLDEN LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
5 ml vanilla extract
200 ml cream
100 ml water
60 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a tea loaf pan with baking paper.
- TO POACH THE PEARS: put the sugar and 500 ml water in a small saucepan and stir to dissolve on medium heat. Add the pears and simmer for about 10 minutes or until starting to soften. Test with a skewer
- TO MAKE THE MALVA BATTER: Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and add the eggs one at a time while beating. Lastly add the apricot jam
- Mix together the vinegar OR lemon juice and buttermilk.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar and mix until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and push the pears into the batter – standing upright.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE: Combine all the ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Allow to simmer for ±3 minutes.
- Pour most of the warm sauce on the Malva loaf as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cool completely and place in the fridge for a few hours before removing it from the loaf pan
- Sprinkle with some NATURA GOLDEN LIGHT BROWN SUGAR and serve with whipped cream