CHOCOLATE & COCONUT MERINGUE PIE
(makes 6 small pies OR 1 medium sized pie)
200 g digestive biscuits, crushed
110 g butter, melted
120 g desiccated coconut
150 g milk chocolate, chopped
150 g dark chocolate, chopped
3 egg yolks
ITALIAN MERINGUE TOPPING
120 g egg whites
200 g castor sugar
icing sugar for dusting
toasted coconut flakes for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Combine the biscuits and the butter and mix well. Press the mixture onto the base and sides of a well-greased pie 22 cm dish (or use 6 X 8 cm loose bottom pans) – press firmly with a spoon to make sure it sticks to the sides and bottom. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spread the coconut on a baking tray and bake in the oven for a few minutes until lightly toasted – check regularly as it may burn easily.
- Heat the cream to boiling point in a small saucepan and pour over the chocolate. Leave for a few minutes and stir to dissolve the chocolate.
- Place the egg yolks and 30 ml warm water in a heatproof bowl over simmering water and beat with until it is pale and thick. Remove from the heat
- Add the chocolate mixture, mix well and fold in the toasted coconut to make the filling
- Spoon the filling into the pastry (divide evenly if you are making small tarts) and leave in fridge for about 2 hours to set.
- TO MAKE THE ITALIAN MERINGUE: Stir the castor sugar and 100 ml water in a small saucepan over low heat until dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil the syrup until it reaches 118° Whisk the egg whites to the soft peak stage and slowly add the hot syrup while beating on high speed. The meringue must become thick and glossy. Keep on beating until it reaches room temperature.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue on the tart, dust with icing sugar and garnish with toasted coconut shavings.