PASSION FRUIT CREME BRULEE
450 ml Cream
6 Egg yolks
80 ml Castor sugar
90 ml passionfruit pulp
Castor sugar for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 160ºC.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream just to boiling point.
- Beat egg yolks with castor sugar. Stir in the passionfruit pulp and then the hot cream. Mix well and skim off foam.
- Pour custard into 5 greased ramekins (divide equally)
- Set the ramekins in a large baking dish with enough hot water in it to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins (a bain marie)
- Bake for ±25 minutes.
- Cool and cover with cling wrap. Chill in refrigerator overnight or for a few hours.
- Sprinkle each custard with + 20ml castor sugar – to form a thin layer.
- Use a blowtorch to melt and caramelise the sugar. Move the torch evenly across the tops of the custards to keep the sugar from burning.
- The caramel will form a crisp layer on the custard