(Makes about 30)
300 g castor sugar
100 ml clear berry juice OR use water
raspberry flavouring (or use flavouring of choice)
2 egg whites
7 gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
100 g Natura icing sugar
20 ml cornflour
- Heat together 200 g castor sugar and the berry juice OR water in small saucepan until all the sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and boil until syrup reaches 127°C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt to the soft peak stage, then gradually add the rest of the castor sugar (100g). Beat until glossy
- Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine sheets and add to the hot syrup.Stir to dissolve
- Add the syrup slowly to the egg white whilst beating on high speed.Add colouring and flavouring and beat until whipped and almost room temperature.
- Spoon into a large piping bag and pipe 3cm high mounds onto lined baking trays. Leave to set.
- Sieve together the icing sugar and cornflour
- Dust or roll the marshmallows into the icing sugar mixture and store in a sealed container