500ml cake flour
2,5 ml salt
60 ml ± cold water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the flour, salt and butter in a food processor and pulse until the butter is mixed in (like fine breadcrumbs).
- Add the cold water while the motor is running (do not add all at once) and mix until it comes together to make the pastry. Press the pastry (using your fingers) into a greased pie dish. You can also rest the pastry for 30 minutes in the fridge and then roll out to fit into the pie dish.
1 onion, chopped and sautéd in a little bit of olive oil or butter
250g chopped ,cooked bacon
250ml grated Gruyere cheese (OR use mature cheddar cheese)
30 ml chopped chives
- Mix together all the filling ingredients and lastly mix in the flour. Spoon the filling into the pastry.
250ml cream OR use half cream and half milk
salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Beat together all the ingredients for the egg custard and pour over the filling
- Bake at 180ºC until cooked and golden brown (±25 minutes)
- Replace the bacon with mushrooms OR feta OR cooked spinach
- Add cheddar cheese instead of Gruyere cheese
- Add some feta cheese OR slices of Brie cheese