FRENCH ONION SOUP
1,8 kg onions, finely sliced (use sweet brown onions)
125 g butter
125 ml sherry
1 bay leaf
30 ml chopped thyme (stalks removed)
2 liters good quality chicken stock
5 ml fish sauce
5 ml lemon juice
salt and black pepper to taste
6 slices toasted ciabatta bread
1 garlic clove
250 g Gruyere cheese, grated
chopped thyme for serving
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and cook for about an hour – onions must be completely caramelised. Add a bit of water if needed – to prevent onions from burning.
- Add the sherry and cook for a few minutes then add the bay leaf, thyme and the chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes then remove the bay leaf.
- Add the fish sauce and the lemon juice, taste and season with salt and pepper
- Rub the garlic clove on the toasted ciabatta (both sides of the bread)
- Spoon the hot soup into 4 bowls, top with a slice of ciabatta and sprinkle over a generous portion of grated cheese. Spoon over another ladle of the soup and top with more cheddar cheese
- Place under the grill until the cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped thyme. Serve immediately