STEM GINGER FUDGE
(Makes 36 squares)
400 g Natura fine demerara sugar (or use castor sugar)
400 g castor sugar
Pinch of salt
300 ml milk
120 g butter
90 g golden syrup
125 ml chopped preserved stem ginger in syrup
1 tin (385 g) condensed milk
2.5 ml cream of tartar
- Grease a 22 x 32 cm baking pan.
- Mix the sugar, salt, milk, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and melt on the stove on medium heat. DO NOT LET IT BOIL AT THIS STAGE.
- Stir until all the sugar has dissolved and only then bring to the boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally
- Add the chopped ginger and condensed milk.
- Boil, stirring regularly, until it reaches the soft ball stage (118 °C).
- Remove from the heat, add the cream of tartar and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour into the prepared pan and leave to cool. Cut into squares.