PASSIONFRUIT, LIME AND THYME LOAF
170 g butter at room temperature
170 g castor sugar
100 g yoghurt
30 ml lime juice
Zest of 2 limes
30 ml chopped thyme
100 ml passionfruit pulp
210 g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
100 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
50 ml lemon juice
80 ml castor sugar
5 ml lime zest
20 ml sugar for sprinkling
chopped thyme for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the lime zest and mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix gently – until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Spoon the cake batter into the loaf pan, even it out and bake for about 1 hour until done. (when you insert a skewer it must come out clean)
- While the loaf is in the oven, prepare the lime syrup. Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan, stir to dissolve the sugar and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- A few minutes after the loaf comes out of the oven, prick lightly with a fork and pour over the hot syrup. Sprinkle the sugar over the loaf and leave to cool completely before removing from the pan. Garnish with chopped thyme