SPINACH AND CHEESE ROLLS
(Makes about 16)
1 sheet puff pastry
200 g spinach, washed, stems removed, chopped, cooked and drained well
1 onion, finely sliced
15 ml olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150 g ricotta cheese
150 g feta cheese, crumbled
15 ml chopped dill
15 ml chopped chives
30 ml dry breadcrumbs
salt and black pepper for seasoning
1 egg, lightly beaten with 30 ml milk
poppy seeds for sprinkling
tomato chilli jam for serving
- Heat the oven to 200°and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion.Cook until starting to soften and add the garlic. Cook for another few minutes, turn off the heat and add the spinach, ricotta, feta, dill, chives and breadcrumbs. Mix well and season with enough salt and black pepper. Cool
- Unroll the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 2 along the length of the pastry.
- Spoon ½ of the filling along one long edge of pastry, brush the pastry with the egg wash and roll to enclose.Make sure the pastry overlaps by at least 1cm. Repeat with the rest of the pastry and filling.
- Place the two rolls (seam side down) on the baking tray.Use a sharp knife to cut the rolls into smaller pieces of about 6-8 cm long.
- Spread the rolls out onto the tray and brush generously with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle over some poppy seeds and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked
- Serve with the tomato chilli jam for a light lunch or snack