BILTONG, BRIE AND CARAMELISED ONION MUFFINS
(Makes 10 large muffins)
500 ml (260 g) cake flour
15 ml baking powder
15 ml sugar
10 ml barbeque spice
pinch of salt
125 ml caramelised onion (use 1 large onion, sliced thinly and sauted in olive oil till golden brown and caramelised)
125 g Brie cheese, sliced
125 g moist biltong, thinly sliced
60 ml chopped chives
125 ml sunflower oil
250 ml yoghurt or amasi
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a muffin pan (you can line it with paper cups if you prefer).
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and seasoning together in a mixing bowl.
- Add half of the: caramelised onion, brie cheese, biltong and chives to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, oil and yoghurt together.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix very lightly using a metal spoon.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Top with the rest of the Brie cheese and some of the biltong and caramelised onion
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked
- Sprinkle over the rest of the chives, thinly sliced biltong and caramelised onion
- Serve immediately with butter and cheese