(Makes 48 squares)
250 g butter
95 g icing sugar
280 g cake flour
420 g castor sugar
100 g cake flour
7.5 ml baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a 23 x 33 cm cake tin and line it with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together.
- Add the flour to make the dough.
- Press the dough into the prepared cake tin and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Make the filling while the base is in the oven. Grate the rind of 2 lemons very finely. Squeeze the lemons to get 140 ml lemon juice.
- Beat the eggs and castor sugar together. Add the grated lemon rind, lemon juice, flour and the baking powder and mix well.
- Pour the filling carefully onto the baked crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 170 °C until the filling has set and is golden brown.
- Cool in the tin before cutting into squares.
- TIP: I mark it into squares with a sharp knife as soon it comes out of the oven but only cut it when it is completely cold. If you don’t mark the squares, it does not cut neatly.