LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES
(Makes 24 cupcakes)
These small delights have a strong lemon flavour. They look spectacular!
500 ml (260 g) cake flour
15 ml baking powder
2 ml salt
325 ml (260 g) sugar
4 eggs, separated
120 ml sunflower oil
10 ml finely grated lemon rind
150 ml water
50 ml lemon juice
1 quantity Lemon Curd
1 quantity Italian Meringue
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake paper cups
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, salt and 200 ml (160 g) of the sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, oil, lemon rind, water and lemon juice.
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage and add the remaining 125 ml (100 g) sugar. Beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to make the batter
- Fold the egg whites gently into the batter
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cool, cut out a small cone in the centre of each one and fill with 15 ml lemon curd.
- Pipe or top generously with the Italian meringue and scorch with a blowtorch.
(The curd will stay fresh for about 4 days in the fridge)
3 egg yolks
200 g castor sugar
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
180 ml lemon juice
160 g butter, cubed
- Beat together the eggs, yoks, castor sugar, rind and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on the stove on low heat, add half of the butter and whisk all the time until the curd thickens and reach boiling point.
- Remove from the heat and add the rest of the butter.Whisk until the butter has melted.
- Pour the curd into a glass bowl and cover the surface with cling film.Allow to come to room temperature then store in the fridge overnight to firm up
225 ml sugar (180g)
1 ml salt
100 ml water
3 egg whites
- Dissolve the sugar and salt in the water and bring the sugar syrup to the boil. (do not boil before all the sugar is dissolved)
- Use a sugar thermometer and boil the syrup to 118°C – when the temperature reaches 112°C start beating the egg whites so long. The egg whites must be beaten to the stiff peak stage
- Add the hot syrup slowly to the beaten egg whites whilst continuing to beat at a high speed – the whole process must take about 3 minutes and then you can continue beating the hot meringue to cool down slightly
- Spoon into a piping bag.