HONEY AND GARLIC CHICKEN WITH CHILLI AND LIME
8 chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
45 ml cornflour (maizena)
salt and pepper for seasoning
30 ml sunflower oil
30 g butter
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, chopped (or add more to taste)
100 g honey
150 ml chicken stock
30 ml lime juice
30 ml soy sauce
zest of 1 lime
125 ml fresh coriander for serving
60 ml chopped spring onion
lime wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and add the cornflour, salt and pepper. Toss the chicken in the cornflour until fully coated. Discard the rest of the cornflour
- Heat the sunflower oil in an ovenproof frying pan on medium heat and fry the chicken pieces until browned on both sides.Remove from the pan and keep aside
- Add the butter to the pan, melt, add the garlic and chilli and stir together.
- Add the honey, stock, lime juice and light soy sauce to the pan and mix well.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, then simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce reduces a little. Add the zest and the chicken and make sure to spoon some of the sauce over all the pieces.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until cooked.
- Sprinkle over the fresh coriander and chopped spring onion.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve with rice.