FROZEN LEMON MERINGUE
300 g shortbread biscuits, crushed
120 g butter, melted
1 tin condensed milk
40 g castor sugar
4 egg yolks
125 ml lemon juice
zest of l lemon and 1 lime
400 ml cream
4 egg whites
180 g castor sugar
100 ml water
- Grease a 24 cm springform cake tin well and line the base with baking paper
- Mix the crushed biscuits and melted butter together and press firmly into the base of the cake tin to make the crust.
- Mix together the condense milk, castor sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice and the zest into a heat proof bowl and place over a saucepan with simmering water.Stir continuously until it thickens (about 8 minutes). Cool completely
- Whip the cream until it is stiff and fold the cream into the cooled and thickened lemon and condense milk “custard”
- Spoon into the crust and place overnight into the freezer
- TO MAKE THE ITALIAN MERINGUE: Combine the water and castor sugar in a small saucepan and allow the sugar to dissolve completely. Let the sugar syrup boil to 117°
- Beat the egg whites until it makes soft peaks and add the hot sugar syrup gradually into the egg whites whilst beating.Beat on high speed until it is cool.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice and pipe rosettes on top of the frozen pie
- Use a blowtorch to scorch the meringue.
- Leave at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving