BEEF TAGLIATA WITH A TWIST
(Serves 2 as a main meal – 4 as a starter)
200 g vine tomatoes or baby rosa tomatoes
20 ml olive oil
400g sirloin steak, trimmed (2 thick steaks will work well)
60 g butter
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10 ml very finely chopped rosemary
60 g wild rocket salad
50 g parmesan shavings
15 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
60 g toasted pine nuts
2 avocadoes, peeled, halved and sliced
Rosemary croutons (see note at end of recipe)
Extra virgin olive oil for garnish
Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place the vine tomatoes on a greased baking tray, season with salt and black pepper and drizzle with half of the olive oil. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes are tender and a few start to split.
- Season the steak with salt and black pepper
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan on high heat and add the steaks.Cook 2 minutes on each side (must be medium rare). Remove the steaks and cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- Wipe the pan clean with paper towel, place the pan on low heat and add the butter, garlic and the rosemary.Cook for about 1 minute – be careful not to let the garlic burn. Remove from the heat
- Toss the rocket salad with the lemon juice and add the Parmesan shavings and some and black pepper.
- Slice the meat across the grain in about 0,5cm thick slices and spoon half of the pan juices(butter/garlic) over the sliced meat
- TO SERVE: Divide the rocket salad between 4 serving plates, top with the meat slices, more parmesan shavings, the vine roasted tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, rosemary croutons and the avocado.Drizzle over the rest of the pan juices. Garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- TO MAKE THE ROSEMARY CROUTONS: Cut a few slices of sourdough into cubes. Melt 40 g butter and 40 ml olive oil in a frying pan, add some finely chopped rosemary, salt and pepper and the bread cubes. Cook on medium heat until crispy and golden brown – toss regularly