HONEY COFFEE BUNDT CAKE WITH COFFEE CARAMEL
280 g (500 ml) self-raising flour
2,5 ml salt
5 ml baking powder
250 ml sunflower oil or melted butter
250 ml buttermilk OR amasi
100 ml espresso (very strong)
125 ml castor sugar
100 g PEEL’S honey
Vanilla seeds from one pod (or 5 ml vanilla extract)
PEEL’S Honey fudge for garnish (optional)
COFFEE HONEY CARAMEL
250 ml cream
100 g soft brown sugar
50 g butter
60 g PEEL’S honey
30 ml strong coffee
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 24 cm bundt cake tin very well.
- Sift together the self-raising flour, salt and baking powder. Use a scale and divide the dry ingredients into two bowls.
- Combine the eggs, oil and the buttermilk and mix well. Divide into two equal portions.
- Add the espresso and castor sugar to one portion of egg mixture and mix well.
- Add the honey and vanilla to the other portion of egg mixture and mix well.
- Add the espresso mixture to one half of the dry ingredients and mix well to make the coffee flavoured batter
- Add the honey mixture to the other half of the dry ingredients and mix well to make the honey batter.
- Pour half of the coffee batter into the prepared bundt tin, spoon the honey batter on top. Spoon the remaining coffee batter on top of that. Use a knife and swirl to get a marbled effect
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Reduce the temperature to 160°C if the cake becomes too dark on top. Cool completely
- TO MAKE THE COFFEE HONEY CARAMEL: Place all the ingredients into a saucepan on medium heat. Stir to dissolve.
- Boil on low heat until the sauce is thick. Cool completely
- TO FINISH THE CAKE: Pour the coffee honey caramel over the cake. OPTIONAL to sprinkle over some crumbled PEEL’S honey fudge.