HONEY MUESLI RUSKS
(Makes about 72 rusks)
6 x 250 ml (780 g) cake flour
60 ml baking powder
5 ml salt
125 ml (100 g) soft brown sugar
250 ml (150 g) sunflower seeds
250 ml (100 g) coconut
3 x 250 ml (500g) good quality muesli (I used Carb clever Coconut and vanilla muesli from Woolworths)
400 ml (400 g) melted butter
400 ml buttermilk
180 g honey
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, sunflower seeds, coconut and muesli together in a large bowl.
- Mix the melted butter, honey and buttermilk together. Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix gto make a firm dough.
- Press the dough into a well-greased large baking sheet (50cm x 35 cm).
- Bake for about 25 minutes and then remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes – it cuts better if lukewarm
- Cut into slices and spread them in a single layer on two large baking sheets, with enough space between them for air to circulate and to dry the rusks.
- Dry out in the oven at 80 °C for about 4 hours, turning the rusks every hour.