SALTED CARAMEL AND CHOCOLATE TRIFLE
650 ml milk
30 g corn flour
20 g flour
80 g castor sugar
2 eggs, beaten
Pinch of salt
60 g butter
100 g caramel (use Peels salted caramel or nestle)
- Combine the corn flour, flour, vanilla and salt together, add some of the milk to make a paste. Use a medium sized bowl. Beat the eggs into the paste and keep aside
- Heat the rest of the milk till almost boiling – then stir it into the corn flour paste while whisking all the time. Pour it back into the saucepan (you can pour it through a sieve if you see any lumps at this stage) and bring to a gently boil whilst stirring all the time, until it is thick and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the butter and the caramel
- Spoon the warm custard into a clean bowl, cover the surface of the custard with clingfilm (this will prevent a skin from forming) and leave to cool at room temperature.
- IT CAN BE MADE THE DAY BEFORE AND LEFT OUTSIDE IN A COOL PLACE (NOT FRIDGE)
Chocolate sponge cake
100 ml vanilla liqueur
500 ml cream, whipped
1 jar Peels salted caramel (OR Nestle)
2 Chocolate flakes
OPTIONAL FOR GARNISHING: Chocolate malt balls(whispers), macarons, chocolate cigars/scrolls, Christmas tree cookies, cacao for dusting
- Layer the caramel custard, chocolate cake (drizzle the cake layers with the vanilla liqueur), caramel, chocolate flake and whipped cream.
- Make at least two or three layers
- Finish off with whipped cream and garnish extravagantly.