MADELEINES WITH HONEY AND PEPPERCORNS
70 g flour
2,5 ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
85 g lightly beaten egg
50 g castor sugar
70 g butter
10 g soft brown sugar
10 g honey
Zest of 1 lemon
Pink peppercorns (OR use a variety)
PEELS honey for drizzling (about 60 ml)
Melted FIRST CHOICE butter for greasing
- Brush the madeleine tin with melted butter and place in the freezer until needed.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Place the egg and castor sugar in a bowl over simmering water and beat until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and honey together
- Fold the dry ingredients gently into the egg mixture.
- Now fold in the melted butter mixture and lemon zest and mix until smooth and thoroughly mixed. Cover the batter with clingwrap and place in the fridge for a few hours before use. Spoon the cold batter into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Brush the madeleine tins with melted butter again and pipe the moulds about 50% full of the batter.
- Place the tin in the preheated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes until the madeleines are a light golden brown colour and cooked through.
- Drizzle the hot madeleines with the extra honey and sprinkle with freshly ground /crushed peppercorns