PECAN, ALMOND AND COCONUT RUSKS
(Makes about 80 rusks)
6 x 250 ml (780 g) cake flour
60 ml baking powder
5 ml salt
350 ml (280 g) soft brown sugar
250 ml desiccated coconut
125 ml sunflower seeds
3 x 250 ml (500g) Woolworths carb clever coconut and vanilla granola
100 g chopped pecan nuts
100 g whole almonds
500 ml (500 g) melted butter
500 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, coconut, sunflower seeds, pecan nuts, almonds and muesli together in a large bowl.
- Mix the melted butter and buttermilk together and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix well to make a firm dough.
- Press the dough into a well-greased large baking sheet (or two oven pans).
- Bake for about 25 minutes and then remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes – it cuts better if lukewarm
- Cut into slices and spread them in a single layer on two large baking sheets, with enough space between them for air to circulate and to dry the rusks.
- Dry out in the oven at 80 °C for about 4 hours, turning the rusks every hour.
- The rusks will last quite long if stored in an airtight container