APPLE AND PEAR PECAN NUT CRUMBLE
(Makes 1 large pie – serves 8)
1 tin (410 g) pie apples
3 pears, peeled, cored and cut into slices
80 g honey or soft brown sugar
5 ml ground cinnamon
150 g butter (at room temperature)
150 ml (125 g) castor sugar
5 ml vanilla essence
2 ml salt
400 ml (210 g) self-raising flour
80 g pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a pie dish.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together and spoon into the prepared pie dish. Set aside while you make the crumble.
- Cream the butter and castor sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence and salt.
- Mix in half of the flour, and then gradually mix in the other half. The mixture must be crumbly – add a little more self-raising flour if needed.
- Add the pecan nuts.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the apple filling and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Cool and dust with icing sugar before serving.