PEA, FENNEL AND BABY SPINACH SOUP WITH PARMESAN GARLIC BREAD
40 ml olive oil
1 large fennel bulb, chopped
4 leeks, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 liter chicken stock
1 kg frozen baby peas, defrosted
750 ml baby spinach
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and black pepper for seasoning
Parmesan shavings for serving
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the fennel, leeks and the garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add most of the peas (keep some for serving) and the spinach and cook just until the spinach has wilted. Do NOT overcook the soup – it will lose its beautiful bright green colour
- Process with a blender until very smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the lemon zest and serve the soup in small bowls, topped with the remaining peas, parmesan shavings and some fennel fronts.
- Serve the parmesan garlic bread as accompaniment to the soup for a delicious and healthy meal.
- PARMESAN GARLIC BREAD60 g butter
25 g grated parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small baguette, sliced but keep the base intact
Pre heat the oven to 200°C.
Combine the butter, cheese, garlic and the black pepper
Thickly spread both sides of each slice with the butter mixture. Wrap in foil and bake for about 10 minutes in the oven
Unwrap and bake for another 5 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Serve hot with the soup.