EASTER BUNNY BISCUITS
(makes about 40 biscuits)
260 g butter (at room temperature)
150 ml (120 g) castor sugar
250 ml (125 g) icing sugar
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod or 5 ml vanilla essence
770 ml (400 g) cake flour
230 ml (110 g) cornflour (Maizena®),
Extra cornflour for rolling
5 egg whites
5 ml lemon juice
1 kg icing sugar, sifted
Biscuit dough method:
- Cream the butter, castor sugar and icing sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cake flour and cornflour together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix to make a dough.
- Rest for 1 hour in the fridge before using.
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C. Grease and line two baking sheets.
- Lightly dust the work surface with cornflour and roll out the dough to about 5 mm thick. Cut out the bunny shapes.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheets and refrigerate for 15 minutes before baking – this will prevent shrinking and uneven browning of the biscuits.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate as desired once completely cool.
Royal icing method:
- Beat the egg whites lightly with a fork. Add the lemon juice
- Place the icing sugar in a large bowl and add two-thirds of the egg white. Using an electric mixer, beat at a low speed to incorporate the icing.
- Add more egg white as needed to get a firm, stiff peak consistency. The icing must be smooth and of a spreading consistency. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a month.
- This icing must not be aerated – otherwise small air bubbles show when you use it to pipe – just mix to get it mixed and try not to incorporate air into it
Decorating the biscuits:
- Pipe the outline and edges of the bunnies with the royal icing and wait for it to dry completely. You can make it any colour.
- To fill in the gaps, mix the royal icing with food colouring to get the colours you want and then thin down with a small amount of water to get a runny consistency.
- Fill squeeze bottles with the various colours and use the nozzles to flood the biscuits between the piped lines of royal icing.
- Use the royal icing to pipe detail on the bunnies once they are completely dry and the icing has set.