500g Flaky pastry (can be homemade or store bought)
60 g softened butter
500 ml milk
Zest from 1 lemon
1 cinnamon stick
60 g (120ml) flour
400 g (500ml) sugar
250 ml water
7 egg yolks
- Roll out the pastry and line 24 muffin pans – grease muffin tins very well with real butter before the time and line with the pastry
- Brush generously with the softened butter on the inside of the pastry before pouring the custard in.
- Mix the flour with a little milk to make a smooth paste
- Bring the rest of the milk to the boil with the lemon rind and the cinnamon. Add the flour paste and stir very well to thicken and just starting to boil. Turn off the heat and let flavours infuse.
- In another saucepan – dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes and add the hot syrup to the milk mixture. Mix well
- Now it must be left until it is completely cool/cold. Strain once cold
- Add the beaten egg yolks whilst stirring well.
- Fill the pastry about ¾ with the filling and bake at 200°C for about 15 Minutes. The pastry must be crisp and the tarts starting to brown
- Remove from muffin pan before it is cold. Cool completely before serving.
- TIP: You can keep the filling in the fridge for a few days and bake the tarts as needed