SPICY BEEF MAC AND CHEESE
30 ml olive oil
30 ml olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
500 g extra-lean beef mince
5 ml salt
2,5 ml chilli powder or cayenne pepper (you can add more if you like it spicier)
5 ml barbecue spice
5 ml paprika
1 tin (400 g) chopped Italian tomatoes
100 ml tomato sauce
30 ml Worcestershire sauce
600 ml beef stock
1 tin (400 g) tin red kidney beans, drained
350 g macaroni, uncooked
200 g grated Cheddar cheese (use a good quality Cheddar cheese)
chopped fresh coriander for serving
150 g baby Rosa tomatoes, quartered and seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped red pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the beef and stir on high heat, breaking it up as you stir.
- Add all the spices and cook until the meat is starting to fry and there is no more liquid in the saucepan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, stock and beans – mix well with the beef and lower the heat to medium.
- Stir in the macaroni and place the lid on the saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes until the macaroni is just cooked. Add more stock or water if needed.
- Switch off the heat and stir through half of the cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Place the lid on the saucepan again and leave for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Sprinkle the coriander over as well as the baby tomatoes and serve immediately.