1 bunch radishes, washed, stem and root ends removed and very thinly sliced (use a mandolin slicer)
75 ml castor sugar
125 ml rice vinegar
75 ml water
5 ml mustard seeds
5 ml ground black pepper
5 ml salt
2 bay leaves
8 soft cocktail tortillas
5 ml fish spice
1 garlic clove, crushed
10 ml oil (sunflower or sesame)
200 g kingklip or hake fillets
500 ml thinly shredded red and green cabbage
½ red onion, thinly sliced
80 ml chopped coriander
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Lime wedges for serving
Zest of 1 lime
15 ml lime juice
30 ml oil (sunflower or sesame)
10 ml sriracha sauce (you can use a few drops tobasco or any other chilli sauce as substitute)
30 ml soy sauce
10 ml fish sauce
- Mix together the castor sugar, rice vinegar, water, mustard seeds, salt and black pepper and the bay leaves in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the hot liquid to the thinly sliced radishes and leave for a few hours or overnight to pickle. This can be kept in the fridge for at least a week.
- Mix together the fish spice, garlic and 5 ml of the oil. Rub the spice mix on the fish, drizzle with the rest of the oil and set aside
- Mix the cabbage, red onion and coriander together in a bowl.
- In another small bowl combine the dressing ingredients and mix well. Add it to the cabbage mixture and toss well.
- Heat a griddle pan on medium heat until hot and place the fish on it. Grill each side for a few minutes, letting grill marks develop and use a spatula to flip. Cook until done and season with salt. Break the fish up with a fork into chunks and keep warm
- Assemble the tacos by dividing the fish evenly among the cocktail tortillas, top with the cabbage slaw and the raddish “kimchi”
- Fold tortillas in half and serve immediately