(1 Large Pie – Serves 4)
This is my version of a West Coast Paella – it’s easy, quick and fun to make! And a REAL party stunner. It’s moist and Yummy.
500 g rice
10 ml fish spice
5 ml paprika
15 ml spice for rice
1 large onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1 red pepper, cut into strips
50 ml oil
6 chicken drumsticks or thighs, cooked/roasted in the oven
240 g shrimps, thawed and drained well
250 g mussels in half shell, rinsed well
500 g seafood mix, thawed and drained well
1 box 21/25 prawns, cleaned and veined
80 g butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250 ml frozen peas, thawed
30 ml good quality mayonnaise
20 ml sweet chilli sauce
Lemon slices or wedges
• Cook the rice in enough water for ±2 minutes – rinse several times with cold water until the water becomes clear (you have to wash off most of the starch).
• Just cover the rinsed rice with water – add the fish spice, paprika and the spice for rice. Boil for 10 minutes.
• Saute the onion in the oil and just before its ready – add the peppers and cook for a few minutes
• Add the peppers and onion to the rice and cook until almost done.
• Saute the seafood mix very briefly in half of the butter – add the fresh garlic and keep to the side.
• Add the chicken, seafood mix and the shrimps to the rice and cook through for 2 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and add the frozen peas, some chopped parsley and the mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce.
• Quickly fry the prawns in the rest of the butter until it turns pink on both sides – turn at least once during the cooking time. Season with salt and black pepper.
• Place the rice mix in a serving dish – top with the prawns, half shell mussels (quickly heat it in the microwave just before serving), more parsley and lemon wedges.